Tandem learning is a language learning method, which enables two people with different mother tongues to learn the other’s language in an autonomous and collaborative manner. The program also encourages the tandem partners to ask questions that will foster a deeper mutual understanding of and respect for the differences between each other’s cultural backgrounds.
- Autonomy: Contents, topics and learning goals can be chosen individually
- Flexibility: Tandems can select time and location for their meetings
- Authenticity and practical relevance due to real speaking and writing situations
- Direct learning from and with a native speaker
- Intercultural exchange • Practice-oriented preparation for a stay abroad
- Supports international students in their integration process in Germany
- Possibility to establish contacts and make friends
- You are a student or employee at the TU Munich
- You are a native speaker of one of the following languages AND would like to learn one of the following languages:
Arabic Catalan Chinese Danish
Dutch French German Hebrew
Italian Japanese Korean Norwegian
Portuguese Russian Swedish Spanish
- You have basic knowledge of the foreign language you would like to learn.
Tandem partnerships with German and one of the following languages
French Japanese Italian Portuguese Spanish Swedish Russian Chinese
The lecturers from these languages will supervise and give you suggestions for topics and activities on the learning platform www.moodle.tum.de.
More information about the program will be provided to you at the end of the registration due date. At the end of the semester, you will receive a Moodle certificate if you write about your experience and answer a survey about the program. No ECTS will be given.
For all other languages: you will only receive an e-mail with contact details and further information if we find someone for you. The tandems will receive supporting materials to help them carry out their tandem independently.
Until the end of the registration due date, you can change your data or withdraw your application.
Registration for the SoSe22 from 01.04.2022 to 30.04.2022
How does the registration work? Tutorial
At the end of the registration due date, the matching will be carried out and you will be notified via email.
In order to support the learning process, we will provide you with suggestions for topics, ideas on types of exercise as well as advice on how to correct each other appropriately.
How does a tandem meeting typically work?
You should meet your tandem partner regularly. The tandem sessions should either take place online (e.g. via Zoom) or in person, though observing the applicable distance and hygiene rules.
It is important that in every session the languages are practiced separately for a predetermined amount of time so that you benefit equally from your tandem partnership (e.g. in a 90 minute meeting 45 minutes per language).
In order for your meetings to be successful, you should pay attention to the following points:
- Arrange regular meetings and keep the appointments
- At the beginning of your tandem partnership, define your individual learning goals and consider how you can achieve them
- After each session, take a moment to discuss how you would like to proceed in the next session
- Before each meeting, the tandem partners prepare topics and exercises in their non-native languages based on their interests and learning goals
- Don’t forget to plan some time for the follow-up after and especially the preparations before the meetings.
For questions and further information: firstname.lastname@example.org