Guidelines for Eligibility and Registration
What should I consider before registering?
- Please note that you can only register once your enrollment at TUM is completed. For more information, please visit www.tum.de/en/studies/
- Students with previous experience with the language, please check your language level using our placement test on www.moodle.tum.de or choose a course either one level up from your most recently completed course in this language, provided the course was at the TUM or based on a certificate issued according to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR).
- If you have no previous knowledge of the language, register for a course at level A1.1 following the CEFR.
How do I register?
- The registration deadlines can be found in the registration details of the course on TUMonline.
- Places will not be allocated on a first-come-first-serve basis. This means that the exact time of your registration does not affect your chances of getting a fixed place.
- For registration assistance, please use our instructions for registration.
- Further information on course registration can also be found here, on TUM Wiki (only available in German language).
How are places allocated?
- Once the registration period is over, TUMonline automatically assigns students places in the course, corresponding to the ranking options specified in the registration details of the respective course.
- Students who have been assigned a confirmed place, will receive an e-mail from TUMonline.
- If you do not receive a confirmed-place-notification after the registration deadline and see “requirements met” listed by your name, this means you are in a waiting position.
What happens if I am assigned a confirmed place?
- If you are not able to be present on the 1st day of the course, please contact your lecturer by e-mail (please note special regulations for German intensive courses). The following information is important in the e-mail: name, first name, matriculation number, course level, day, time, and group.
- If you are not present on the 1st day without an excuse, you will lose your confirmed place. The lecturer will deregister you from the registration procedure.
- If you have received a confirmed place in one course, you cannot attend, you cannot transfer it to another course. However, you can deregister from the procedure after the first distribution and then register again, as the registration will then be opened again (only for semester-long courses). By deregistering, you will lose your confirmed place, but you will have another chance in the second distribution, in which the system allocates places that have become free.
Can I still get a confirmed place after the end of the registration period?
- If you are not assigned a confirmed place once the registration period is over, the description “requirements met” will still be next to your name. It means that you are in a waiting position.
- In the case of semester-long courses, registration will be reopened after this first allocation of places and another, automated allocation will take place, in which any places that become free will be filled. In the period between the first and second allocation you can edit your course selection.The second allocation will take place before the courses start.
- If you are not assigned a confirmed place here either, you will receive a rejection by e-mail.
- This second distribution does not take place in our intensive courses in the lecture free period. Here, the lecturer can let students move up if places become free.
We kindly ask for your understanding that the number of places is limited.
The TUM Language Center reserves the right to cancel the courses should the number of present participants be low.