Tandem learning is a language learning method, which enables two people with different mother tongues to learn the other’s language in an autonomous and collaborative manner. The program also encourages the tandem partners to ask questions that will foster a deeper mutual understanding of and respect for the differences between each other’s cultural backgrounds.
• Autonomy: Contents, topics and learning goals can be chosen individually
• Flexibility: Tandems can select time and location for their meetings
• Authenticity and practical relevance due to real speaking and writing situations
• Direct learning from and with a native speaker
• Intercultural exchange • Practice-oriented preparation for a stay abroad
• Supports international students in their integration process in Germany
• Possibility to establish contacts and make friends
• You are a student or employee at the TU Munich
• You are a native speaker in one of the following languages AND would like to learn one of the following :
Arabic Chinese Danish Dutch
French German Hebrew Italian
Japanese Korean Norwegian Portuguese
Russian Swedish Spanish Turkish
• You have basic knowledge in this foreign language
Tandem partnerships in the following languages are supervised by lecturers from the TUM Sprachenzentrum for the period of one or two semesters:
- Registration form for German-French
- Registration form for German-Japanese
- Registration form for German-Italian
- Registration form for German-Portuguese
- Registration form for German-Swedish
Students interested in Spanish/German TUMtandem should register via TUMonline:
• German-speaking students who want to learn Spanish choose "Spanish - Spanish/German Tandem"
• Spanish-speaking students who want to learn German choose "German - German/Spanish Tandem"
Autonomous Tandems: For all other languages, the TUM Sprachenzentrum acts as intermediary for finding a partner, but does not supervise the partnerships. However, the tandem pairs will receive supporting materials for conducting their tandem autonomously.
The registration form for other languages:
• Registration form for all other languages
What's happening after we have found a tandem partner for you? Click here. Feel free to contact email@example.com if you have any questions.
With your permission, your data will be collected, processed, and used at the TUM and passed on to your TUMtandem partner for administrative, organizational purposes and statistics. Your data will be deleted two years after your application.
Your personal data will be collected, processed, and used in the context of the aforementioned objectives in accordance with the Bavarian Data Protection Act (BayDSG). At any given time, you can withdraw your consent without any effect on the legitimacy of the processing of your data based on the prior consent until your withdrawal of consent based on article 6 para. 1 lit. a GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). Upon receiving your notice of withdrawal of consent, the controller will directly delete all of your personal data. Please send any notice of withdrawal of consent to
Technical University of Munich, Language Center, Arcisstraße 21, 80333 Munich, firstname.lastname@example.org.
By law, you have a right to information, rectification, erasure, restriction of processing or objection to processing or data portability. Furthermore, you have a right of complaint and the right to appeal to the Bavarian commissioner for data protection.