German Matters -
Five Steps Towards Proficiency
This program offers students with little or no knowledge of German an opportunity to attain an intermediate level of German within three semesters. The program is only open to international students of the Computer Science, the Physics and the Mathemathics departments, who seek to attain a solid knowledge of German within a short period of time and thereby broaden their professional prospects in Germany or working with Germans.
Courses take place both during the semester and the semester breaks. Students’ degree schedules and exam periods are taken into account as far as possible. In addition to classes, the program provides guided self-study units in the breaks between courses.
A detailed explanation of the program schedule can be found here:
Over and above language skills the program offers the following components:
- Intercultural seminars mark the beginning and end of the German Matters program.
- Tutors will be available for communication about intercultural experiences, degree-related questions as well as activities outside the university.
- In cooperation with Alumni&Career, participants can achieve technical and professional orientation by participating in the A&C Mentoring Program.
- In a “Fit for the Job” seminar at the end of the program, participants can learn additional skills and strategies for professional success in Germany.
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a Certificate of Competency from the TUM Language Center. The German Matters program is equivalent to approximately 25 semester hours. Depending on your department, 2 to 6 ECTS points of your language courses can be credited towards your degree.
German Matters is an intensive program aimed at helping participants to quickly reach an intermediate level of German while working towards their degree. This is how you can master the program:
- We will counsel you individually regarding your progress.
- You will find extra support in your study group.
- You will have access to our online platform where you can study at your own speed.
- Since you know your German schedule for the next three semesters in advance, you can organize yourself accordingly.
- You are automatically admitted to the next level if you complete a course with a grade of 2,7 or above.
- If your result is below 2,7, you can do a placement test to progress to the next level.
- Once during the program, you are allowed to pause for a semester or repeat a course.
The program is only open to international Master students of the Computer Science, the Physics and the Mathemathics departments. Ideally, you should start the program in your first semester at the TUM. You should finish the program within your master studies at the TUM. Participants are selected on the basis of a letter of motivation. If you have any previous knowledge of German and would like to join the program on a higher level, you have to do our placement test. You can only register for the entire program.
For questions concerning workload and compatibility of German Matters and the master's program please contact the responsible person at your department:
For questions concerning German Matters please contact email@example.com.
German as a Foreign Language Lecturer
Wednesdays from 10:30 to 11:30
By arrangement during the semester break
Room 112, Richard-Wagner-Str. 3 (MUC)