TUMtandem - Learning in Tandem
What is TUMtandem?
Tandem learning is a language learning method, which enables two people with different mother tongues to learn the other’s language in an autonomous and collaborative manner. The program also encourages the tandem partners to ask questions that will foster a deeper mutual understanding of and respect for the differences between each other’s cultural backgrounds.
What are the advantages of tandem learning?
• Autonomy: Contents, topics and learning goals can be chosen individually
• Flexibility: Tandems can select time and location for their meetings
• Authenticity and practical relevance due to real speaking and writing situations
• Direct learning from and with a native speaker
• Intercultural exchange • Practice-oriented preparation for a stay abroad
• Supports international students in their integration process in Germany
• Possibility to establish contacts and make friends
Which requirements do I have to fulfill?
• You are a student or employee at the TU Munich
• You are a native speaker in one of the following languages AND would like to learn one of the following :
French German Hebrew Italian
Japanese Korean Norwegian Portuguese
Russian Swedish Spanish Turkish
• You have basic knowledge in this foreign language
Registration and further information on procedure
Supervised Tandems: Tandem partnerships in the following languages are supervised by lecturers from the TUM Sprachenzentrum for the period of one or two semesters.
Registration forms will be available here from the middle of September 2018:
Students interested in Spanish/German TUMtandem should register via TUMonline:
• German-speaking students who want to learn Spanish choose "Spanish - Spanish/German Tandem"
• Spanish-speaking students who want to learn German choose "German - German/Spanish Tandem"
Autonomous Tandems: For all other languages, the TUM Sprachenzentrum acts as intermediary for finding a partner, but does not supervise the partnerships. However, the tandem pairs will receive supporting materials for conducting their tandem autonomously.
The registration form for other languages will be available here from the middle of September 2018:
• Registration form for all other languages
What's happening after we have found a tandem partner for you? Click here.